Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lesson 10 -- Online Image Generators (& related):

More thoughts -- apparently I am not the only one who finds the Learn & Play process challenging. Staff meeting w/ Greg last Tues., 9/9/08, gave staff members a chance to share their feelings & frustrations. So good to know I'm not alone. Even for those staff members who already know what they're doing, it takes more than "15-20 minutes" to do an assignment. & for those of us who are doing, or trying to do, these assignments without already knowing how to do it, already having a Flickr Account, an RSS feed, etc., it takes way longer -- one staff member indicated it had taken 1 1/2 hrs. to do one 3-step assignment, some one else ( a brave soul) said, "More like 6!" It isn't just that it's new material, it's also that things don't always go the way they are supposed to, e.g., tried 3 times Tues., before the meeting, to open my Blogline to access my RSS feed, & got the stupid hourglass (you know the one) endlessly turning; once it actually got half-way loaded & then got stuck.

I actually made some headway on an Online Image Generator, but then couldn't figure how to save my work -- tried Copying & Pasting, tried sending the image to myself (it arrived as 2 pages of computer code -- not terribly helpful), tried everything I knew to do, & nothing worked. So here I am @ friend Beth's computer (I'm not on-line @ home, something else to factor in -- as amazing as it may sound, not everyone is connected to the Internet @ home). Okay, enough "Reality Checking," I'm now going to backtrack a bit a see if I can learn more about Flickr & other.

Later: "Meanwhile, back on the Online Image Generator..."

Some success w/ an OnlineImageGenerator: TaDaa!!!
This image created on http://logos.petrucci.ch/




Several weeks later: found an Online Image Generator that allowed me to save(http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/gradient/), so Ill bring in that image, a gradient, now. Oops, it materialized @ the top of this blogpost. That's the best I can do for now. I take that back -- I just figured out how to move images around -- Yes!





I can see the interest & value of this for personal use & staff, especially for quick memos, lists, notices, posters, etc. that need some quick-fix graphics. I also feel the need to point out that a lot of this can be done just w/ WORD & Clip Art (fancier stuff,of course, w/ programs like Paintshop, Photoshop, Canvas, & the like).

No comments: