Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lesson 15: Wikis & how the library can use them:

I just did the 1st 3 steps (watched the Wiki video, accessed articles about Wikis, one from Wikipedia, the other from Web Junction re. wikis & the library community, all of which were helpful). 2 things I want to note before moving on to the rest of the assignment:
  1. I've been accessing Wikipedia for years, in fact it's one of my main resources for just about anything & everything, not only for it's coverage of just about every topic, but also for its Hyperlinks. So now I understand a whole lot more about how it's set up & why it's such a powerful online tool. Thank you.
  2. After watching the video & reading the Web Junction article on Wiki & community I thought that this would have been a great way to approach the remodeling of the Whetstone Staff Area. It would've given everyone concerned a chance to participate while not diminishing the authority of those in charge of making the final decisions. Maybe next time!
Just finished the rest of the assignment (as if you could ever "finish" something like that!). Of those listed I was most impressed by Princeton's Wiki -- it was so clearly laid out that it was easy to move around, find reviews by categories, etc. (I chose Sci.Fi. -- I like Sci.Fi. & there were only 3 entries -- I could deal w/ that!). From the Wikipedia site I visited Oregon State University's site, less attention to visual layout but nice & clear, academic, usable.

The potential for this is so vast that it would be impossible, @ this point, for me to even state any more about specific uses -- a CML staff wiki would be cool, also one for the Homework Help Center.

Since I'm not @ the library right now I'm not sure how to log this entry into the Progress Log. I'll try next time I'm @ work. Here, again, I hope that the limitations of working @ home (or, in my case, @ a friend's house) can somehow be accounted for.

No comments: