Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lesson #22: Digital Media -- Exploring MOLDI

I had already explored MOLDI (also the digital book collection available through CML), so today I went to the the tutorial site: Download Digital Media Guided Tour: http://www.overdrive.com/products/dlr/tour/. The tutorial is thorough & well-presented. I confess, however, that @ a certain point I felt overwhelmed by details of downloads, searches (that part was fairly easy), file transfers, etc. There's a lot to deal with, @ least until I get used to it -- a step @ a time. This clearly will have a significant place in library services now &, increasingly, in the future. There is one comment I'd like to make about this & similar services: we need to take into account & make accommodations for 2 things:
1. Some customers will need training & on-site help to do some of these procedures.
2. Not everyone has a computer, not everyone is on-line, & not everyone has access to this technology, which means that some people will, @ best, not have the technical know-how that comes w/ familiarity w/ computers, &, worse, get left behind, especially when it comes to accessing educational & job-skill material.

No comments: